First, make sure the gas is turned on to the unit. For LP, make sure the tank is full and the knob is turned to the fully open position. Depress the sparker then turn your knob counterclockwise one quarter turn and fully depress the black valve knob. When the flame lights, continue to hold the knob for 3 to 5 seconds, release the knob and the flame should stick. Turn the knob counterclockwise to adjust the flam to your desired setting.
Heating Device Safety Rules of Thumb
When using patio heaters to make outdoor gatherings more enjoyable, keep these safety rules top of mind.
- Ensure outdoor heaters are positioned on a stable surface so they won’t get knocked over.
- Never leave patio heaters unattended.
- Pay particular attention when children or impaired individuals are in the vicinity.
- Keep fire extinguishers easily accessible.
- Never move a portable heater while the flame is lit and make sure the fuel supply is properly shut off and the unit is cool before relocating.
It is important to note that this equipment should not simply be pulled out of storage and turned on each year, without being properly inspected and maintained as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Ultimately, owners and operators of outdoor patios and dining areas are responsible for the safe installation, operation, and maintenance of their patio heating units. They must abide by all safety and maintenance instructions outlined in the operating manual for their heating appliances and ensure they understand how to safely operate the heating units and properly handle propane cylinders.