Fireplace and Stove Glass Safety

Each year, millions of people enjoy the warmth, comfort and utility of modern fireplaces. Today, many gas fireplaces, inserts or stoves have glass fronts to enhance the beauty of the fire. For your family to safely enjoy your gas fireplace, remember that the glass and surrounding frame become extremely hot during operation and can remain hot for quite some time after use. Accidental contact with the hot glass can cause serious burns.

When using your glass front fireplace, simple common-sense safety precautions can protect your loved ones from injury. Never leave your children unattended with an operating gas fireplace, insert or stove or one that has just been turned off. It may take up to an hour for the glass to cool. You should talk to your children and explain the dangers that can result from touching or getting too close to the fireplace. Also keep the fireplace remote control out of your children’s reach and add a physical barrier or protective screen around your glass front gas fireplace to further reduce the risk of injury from direct contact with hot glass.

There are three general types of protective barriers available. Attachable safety screens fasten to the front of the fireplace to create an air space between the hot glass and the screen. New gas fireplaces come with a screen protection safety feature. If you have an older gas fireplace, check with your manufacturer to see if there is a safety screen for your unit, aftermarket screens if available should be approved for use by the manufacturer of your fireplace. Free standing safety gates are barriers set up to restrict access. Some safety gates can be anchored to the wall, freestanding fireplace screens are set back from the fireplace to prevent direct access. Safety products are always improving as new technologies evolve and more stringent safety tests are developed.

Comments are closed.

For our entire product selection please visit one of our showrooms and speak with a Design Consultant
or call us at 608-356-7268 or 608-204-7585!

Share This Information with Your Friends